stress management

stress management

Friday, September 24, 2010

This May Seem Strange...

I've experienced many different cultures in my life through the people I've met and the few places I've been. I was born in America, which has always contained a vast amount of cultural diversity. When I think of this country I don't think of just one race, ethnicity, or culture, but of hundreds of them. People from all around the world come here to live the American dream, and many succeed.
My parents came to the US from India and brought with them all of their beliefs and traditions, which they later taught to their children. They taught us to respect our elders, say our prayers, help those in need, and become successful in life. They introduced us to Indian clothing (such as saris and langhas), Indian food (such as roti and curry dishes, but no beef), and Hindi movies and songs of Bollywood (the Indian Hollywood). These songs and movies have become half of my knowledge of music and movies of any kind, that I forget not everyone knows about them when I talk to my non-Indian friends. Once I started school, I was introduced to more and more to American culture, such as American stories and characters, English songs, and having lunch at 12 pm. The idea of having a boyfriend was not really an option for me because I wasn't really allowed , and thought that the only romance I would have in my life would be between me and my husband. Over here, it's perfectly normal to have had a few boyfriends or girlfriends before marriage, and parents have no problems with it
I've pretty much had an equal experience with both these cultures. However, as I got older, I started becoming more Americanized, which is why I'd feel more like a foreigner every time my family and I went to India to visit our relatives. Most women there walk around wearing Indian attire and braids in their hair. Marriages are usually arranged, but I think people there are slowly starting to step into the 21st century. Sales people are out on the streets trying to get people to come in to their stores and check out their selections. Since cows are considered sacred, they walk around freely on the roads. People there are rather monochronic. They take their time with tasks, and do one thing at a time. For example, at stores, the salespeople will sit you down, get you something to drink, and show you one by one anything you should consider buying. Then, the same person will charge it and pack it up. Also, a lot of people there have chauffeurs (if they have cars that is), and house maids, whereas in America, usually only the really rich have them. There is no real sense of proxemics in India. As long as no one is being molested, or sexually harassed, personal space is no issue, whether someone be real close up to your face, or far away from you.
I have many friends of different cultures (besides my own). For one thing, they all eat dinner at 5 or 6 pm, when I'm accustomed to eating at around 8 or 9 pm. They call their parents mom and dad, whereas I refer to them as mummy and papa. I have a muslim friend who doesn't eat pork, and has to pray 5 times a day. I can eat pork, but choose not to, so that's not weird to me, but I honestly don't think I'd remember to pray 5 times a day. Many of my friends speak another language besides English, and I'm always interested in learning how to say certain things in that language. I hope to learn a lot more about their cultures, and many others from the people I work with in the future, and/or if I ever get a chance to travel around the world.

3 comments:

  1. Meeting and making friends of different cultures is great, I'm not interested in North American culture though. I'm interested towards South American culture and hope will get the chance to meet people there and learn as well. Anyway, it's good that you still remember your culture so that you can pass it on. I love roti. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Varsha! I also love roti! Haha... I think it's great that your parents passed their culture and traditions on to you. This is what is so amazing about America. We have people coming from all over the world, bringing their own cultures with them. We, being the second generation, have the opportunity to grow up with two cultures: our parents' and American culture. Of course, living in America, we also have the opportunity to encounter hundreds of other cultures from other people. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,we have something in common in our culture.For centuries, arranged marriage was the only way to marry in my cultures, and it was believed to ensure stronger and happier marriages. My parents use their marriage as evidence to support the practice and all my brothers and sisters were obeyed their decisions and let my parents to negotiate their marriages, rather than the couple themselves. However, most of their marriages seem happy but, I still think these marriages restrict personal freedom. Therefore, I will not accept arrange marriage. How about you?

    ReplyDelete